GHANA ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
All persons entering Ghana must be in possession of a valid passport or Travel Document establishing the identity of the holder.
THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES OF PERSONS ARE EXEMPT FROM ENTRY VISA REQUIREMENTS TO GHANA
- Citizens from the below-listed ECOWAS Member States by virtue of The Protocol on Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment (PROTOCOL A /PL/5/79):
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Côte d’Ivoire
- The Gambia
- Guinea Bissau
- Guinea, Guinea-Bissau
- Sierra Leone
- Holders of Diplomatic, Service or Official passports of the countries listed below:
- *Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China
NB: Exemptions category B above shall be for a period not exceeding ninety (90) days from date of entry.
- All nationals of the following countries:
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Uganda, Zimbabwe
**Children with ordinary passports accompanying holders of diplomatic, service or official passports accredited to Ghana or South Africa are exempt from entry visa requirements.
LIST OF INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS WITH WHICH GHANA HAS CONCLUDED VISA EXEMPTION AGREEMENTS
- Holders of passports of Regional Economic Communities in Africa and the African Economic Community, United Nations and its Specialized Agencies:
- The World Bank
- African Development Bank
- AIR-SIDE TRANSIT
All persons in direct air side transit are exempt from visa requirement.
The following category of persons may not be granted entry visas:
- prohibited immigrants
- A person without visible means of support
- An undesirable person
- On the advice of the health authorities, an individual may be refused entry into
IMPORTANT IMMIGRATION NOTICE
Individuals intending to travel to Ghana must note that;
- the possession of the appropriate documents does not confer a right of entry;
- travelers may be refused entry into Ghana if they fall within the category of prohibited immigrants and;
- if they do not satisfy immigration requirements at the point of entry.
The Government of Ghana will not be financially liable for their repatriation.
OTHER RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PRIOR TO ENTRY INTO GHANA
- Immigrant Quota – Persons who enter Ghana ostensibly as visitors may not be permitted to take employment.
- No person shall be permitted to accept employment or undertake an occupation for reward in Ghana unless such employment is within an authorized Immigrant Quota (an immigrant quota being the number of non-Ghanaians that a person or firm can employ). An application for Immigrant Quota must be made to:
IMMIGRANT QUOTA COMMITTEE
MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR
P. O. BOX M. 42
- An approval for Immigrant Quota for a foreign employee must be obtained before proceeding to Ghana.
Investors to Ghana must register with the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (GIPC). Application for the extension of visa or automatic quota must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the GIPC confirming the status of the Investor.
Investors interested in the Mining Sector must register with the Minerals Commission an approved Mining Services Company. Application for the extension of visa or Immigrant Quota must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the Minerals Commission confirming status.
It is an offence for foreign doctors, dentists, lawyers, pharmacists and other specific professionals to practice their profession in Ghana unless they register in accordance with the ordinances of their respective professions.
All professionals wishing to enter Ghana to practice one of the above mentioned professions are required to provide particulars of their qualifications to help determine their eligibility for registration.
Foreign professionals such as doctor, lawyers, and pharmacists among others must be registered in accordance with the laws of their respective professions to practice in Ghana.
Professionals wishing to practice in Ghana are required to provide documentation of their qualifications to help determine registration eligibility.